Re: Fwd: Beast(s) ridden by Jesus (was: Re: EI = Since)

  • Harry Staiti
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 1998
      Carl W. Conrad wrote:
      > I thought it worth raising the question whether there's any legitimate
      > way of understanding the Greek of Matthew's account of the ass and the
      > colt other than that Jesus is said to have ridden on BOTH.

      How ironic!
      There was a rather lengthy discussion on this very topic under the title
      "Two Donkeys" just the other day, but it was initiated on another list!

      The central discussion was around Zech 9.9

      Rejoice greatly,
      O daughter of Zion!
      Shout aloud,
      O daughter of Jerusalem!

      Lo, your king comes to you;
      triumphant and victorious is he,

      humble and riding on an ass,
      on a colt the foal of an ass.

      We were discussing whether or not the context had Matthew either being
      ignorant of the poetic structure of Zech 9.9, or whether he was overly
      concerned with literalism, and excess not present in Luke.

      I tenetively opted for the latter.

      It seems to me that the Matthian narrative stresses a Messianic Judaism,
      arguing in its telling of the narrative a sub-text which is in line with
      the social setting of the ancient Matthian believers. That is, that
      their community of faith was not to be outlawed as "new religion," even
      though they had been expelled from the Judean synagogues. Matthew's
      stress upon torah obedience and his obedience/blessing and
      disobedience/cursing motif's only serve to support this understanding.

      --
      Harry (hstaiti@...)
      Postliberal Theology on the Web