Re: [Synoptic-L] Lk 9:39: who "cries out"?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2000
      In a message dated 7/2/2000 9:07:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Maluflen@... writes:

      [Responding to Carl Conrad]

      << So you are arguing, if I understand you correctly, that PNEUMA is the most
      likely subject of KRAZEI. I agree with you -- for reasons, beyond purely
      grammatical ones, which I do not wish to raise at the moment, but which are
      closely related to your observation of the sequence of verbs with PNEUMA for
      implicit subject. However, are you aware that this option is not taken by
      most modern versions? I'm not even aware of any modern version that follows
      this option. >>

      I have just noticed that the NEB does indeed translate Lk 9:39 so as to make
      PNEUMA the subject of all the verbs, including KRAZEI:

      "From time to time a spirit seizes him, gives a sudden scream, and throws him
      into convulsions with foaming at the mouth, and it keeps on mauling him and
      will hardly let him go.."

      So in Matt, once the narrator begins to describe the condition of the boy,
      all the verbs have the boy as their subject (primitive undifferentiation); in
      Luke, all the verbs have the spirit as their subject, and most have the boy
      as their object; Mark represents a perfect conflation of these perspectives,
      with a number of verbs having the spirit, and a number having the boy as
      subject. Furthermore, the actions of the boy in Mark (Matthean perspective)
      are clearly seen to be reactions to, caused by, the malicious activity of the
      demon (Lukan perspective). Both differentiation between the two agents and
      subordination of the second's activity to that of the first are most highly
      developed in Mark's account.