[Synoptic-L] (Fwd) from John Poirier: Re: Commenting on the comments

      From: "John C. Poirier" <peartre@...>
      To: <Synoptic-L@...>
      Subject: Re: Commenting on the comments
      Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:04:29 -0500

      Elmer Smalling III wrote:
      > As I read the positings and the arguments on this and similar Bible
      Scholar
      > lists, I can't help think how these various theses flash, ebb, and fall
      over
      > the months or years (like Form Criticism itself), leaving rubble in the
      > academic pathway. Synoptic studies seem to have become a very long chess
      > game where the audience have gone home.
      >
      > It seems we are too bound to Aristotelian roots tinged by modern
      existential
      > monotony and trappings of Scholasticism (not to mention literary tenure)
      > the degree that we continue to attempt to deconstruct the obvious. We
      should
      > probably be going into the voluminous and recently opened archives of
      > papyrus (Wien, Paris) with the hopes of eliminating much argument and
      > derived workmanship.

      Elmer:

      I don't understand all of your message, but I certainly get the gist of
      it.

      What is the relevance of the papyri that you mention? I think I am
      missing something.

      Also, I must object when advocates of nonrealistic approaches to
      the Bible
      try to sell off the historical impulse as an aberration, locating its
      origin in (as you say) Aristotelianism, existentialism, or
      Scholasticism.
      (The most objectionable form of this type of argument is found in the
      frequent attempts to date the historical impulse to the
      Enlightenment. I
      am happy that you don't attempt this.)

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio