Re: [XTalk] Re: [Synoptic-L] Messianic Apocalypse in DSS and Matt 11:2-6

  • Mahlon H. Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2000
      "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

      > So does anyone know if the JS scholars who discussed Matt 11:2-6 and
      > voted for
      > its not being authentic/historical Jesus tradition were aware of 4Q251
      > and, if
      > so, how they took its data into account in reaching the conclusion about
      > Matt
      > 11:2-6 that they did?

      I know & the answer to both your questions about JS being aware of 4Q251
      or taking it into account in voting on Matt 11:2-6 is: No. How could we
      have been aware of something that was published only after we debated
      this material? We voted on this passage twice, in 1989 when we
      considered the block of Q sayings involving Jesus & JB and again in 1992
      when we began our deeds phase with a review of all the data on JB &
      Jesus' baptism. I don't have access to the original announcement &
      publication of 4Q251 but I have read Wise's 1995 article (the one that
      Tabor cites on his webpage). If Len Maluf is right about its first
      publication date being 1992 then apparently it was released not enough
      before our spring meeting (early March) to have caused a stir; otherwise
      at least one of the 45 who attended that meeting (including Jim
      Robinson) would have gotten wind of it. I'll bring the issue up to Bob
      Funk & Greg Jenkins. This may be one of those issues we will want to
      reconsider.

      Shalom!

      Mahlon

      --

      *********************

      Mahlon H. Smith, http://religion.rutgers.edu/mh_smith.html
      Associate Professor
      Department of Religion Virtual Religion Index
      Rutgers University http://religion.rutgers.edu/vri/
      New Brunswick NJ

      http://religion.rutgers.edu/iho/

      A Synoptic Gospels Primer