textbooks

  • Rick Strelan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 1998
      I am teaching a course on the gospels this coming semester and would
      appreciate any recommendations re textbooks or recommended reading that
      other lecturers are using.

      Thanks in anticipation,

      Rick Strelan
      University of Queensland
      Brisbane
    • PetersnICS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 1998
        In a message dated 6/1/98 5:10:04 AM, rick.strelan@... wrote:

        <<I am teaching a course on the gospels this coming semester and would
        appreciate any recommendations re textbooks or recommended reading that
        other lecturers are using.

        Thanks in anticipation,

        Rick Strelan
        University of Queensland
        Brisbane>>

        Rick et al.,

        In a fall course for classics undergraduates, in addition to Nestle-Aland and
        the Aland synopsis I'm assigning _Studying the Synoptic Gospels_ by E. P.
        Sanders and Margaret Davies (SCM/TPI). While a bit weighty for undergraduates
        (at least American ones), Sanders and Davies supply vital information and
        introduce a lot of issues in a very reasonable, even common-sensical way.
        Richard Bauckham's recent collection _The Gospels for All Christians_
        (Eerdmans) is also accessible and promises to reorient Gospels study away from
        what Pauline scholars term "mirror-reading."

        Perhaps even more than in other NT subjects, it seems to me that one's choice
        of text is a function of what one aims to introduce students to: to one gospel
        as a literary whole? to extant gospels as historical sources for
        reconstructing the life of Jesus, or the early history of Christianity? to the
        canonical gospels as witnesses to the faith of the ancient church? Like Rick,
        I would be interested in knowing what others do, if the teaching of the
        Gospels is an appropriate subject for discussion on this list.

        Jeff Peterson
        Institute for Christian Studies
        Austin, Texas, USA
        e-mail: peterson@...