[Synoptic-L] hj resources

  • david cook
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2000
      Kyle,

      I assume, though no one seems to have named it yet, that the larger of Dom
      Crossan's 2 Jesus books is on your list. Marcus Borg's Jesus in
      Contemporary Scholarship, TPI 1994 is a good read, with helpful guides to
      the main points of a number of other writers. Ed Sanders' Jesus and Judaism
      of 1985 remains interesting, though his book on studying the Synoptics (with
      Margaret Davies) is probably better as a text book, raising all sorts of
      interesting problems, and setting out the strengths and weaknesses of a
      variety of positions. The closing parts of the Caird-Hurst NT Theology
      present a stimulating approach to an answer to the questions of HJ study,
      but don't always show the workings.

      David Cook
      33 Oatfield Drive
      Cranbrook