Re: [Synoptic-L] the meaning of "al hol[y] lyueande" andantiquity of a reading in the PG

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2000
      "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:

      > Back to Pepysian Harmony, which reads: "Thou arte Goddes son, al
      > hol[y] lyueande." ("You are the son of the all-holy living God.")
      > It therefore looks like the PH has combined elements from the
      > Matthean (lyueande) and Johannine (al hol[y]) confessions.

      In conformity, by the way, NOT (so far as I can tell) with 1st cent
      Jewish
      doxologies, references to the divine, or titles for God, but **with**
      Medieval confessional practices.

      > The
      > lack of "Christ," though interesting, is not unparalleled -- it
      > is found in the Pseudo-Clementine Homilies, which I understand
      > is already known to have contacts with the harmonistic tradition.

      And the Pseudo Clementines are, what?, third century if not later? And
      has
      anyone of any repute ever claimed that they contain proto Gospel
      material
      and/or are valuable resources for reconstructing early first century,
      let
      alone early first century Palestinian, Christianity?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)