Re: [Synoptic-L] the meaning of "al hol[y] lyueande" and antiquity of a reading in the PG

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2000
      OK, I think there's been some confusion in this thread on what
      Peter's confession in Matt 16:16 actually is.

      The Greek text, shared by almost all manuscripts including 01 and B
      plus the TR, is SU EI hO CRISTOS hO hUIOS TOU QEOU TOU ZWNTOS ("You
      are the Christ, the son of the living God.").

      The original hand of Codex Bezae D/05 and its latin parallel d had
      SWZONTOS/salvatoris for ZWNTOS instead (e.g. "You are the Christ,
      the son of the saviour God"), but this was later corrected to
      ZWNTOS/viventis.

      The Vulgate text at Matt 16:16 (on-line unbounded Bible version)
      for Peter's confession is: TU ES CHRISTUS FILIUS DEI VIVI ("You are
      the Christ, the son of the living God."), which corresponds to the
      best Greek text. For some reason, this verse is being quoted in
      this thread with "..." in place of CHRISTUS. When the CHRISTUS
      is restored, I would submit that the supposition that the Pepysian
      Harmony tracks the Vulgate here is not well-founded.

      Shem-Tov's Hebrew Matthew, ed. Howard, has: )TH M$YX L(Z QRYS+//W
      BN )LQYM HYYM SB)TH BNH H(WLM ("You are the Messiah, that is Cristo,
      the son of the living God, who has come into this world"). All MSS
      collated by Howard have M$YX (or HM$YX), which means (the) Messiah.

      Tischendorf cites a patristic variant that omits "the Christ" from
      Peter's confession: the Pseudo-Clementine Homily XVII, 18 ... SU EI
      hO hUIOS TOU ZWNTOS QEOU ("You are the son of the living God.").

      The Petrine confession in John 6:69 shows some textual instability.
      While most (i.e. Byzantine) MSS read SU EI hO CRISTOS hO hUIOS TOU
      QEOU TOU ZWNTOS, which is identical to Matt 16:16, the better text
      (P75vid 01 B C* D) reads SU EI hO hAGIOS TOU QEOU ("You are the holy
      one of God.")

      Back to Pepysian Harmony, which reads: "Thou arte Goddes son, al
      hol[y] lyueande." ("You are the son of the all-holy living God.")
      It therefore looks like the PH has combined elements from the
      Matthean (lyueande) and Johannine (al hol[y]) confessions. The
      lack of "Christ," though interesting, is not unparalleled -- it
      is found in the Pseudo-Clementine Homilies, which I understand
      is already known to have contacts with the harmonistic tradition.