[Synoptic-L] The Synoptics in the latest JBL

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4 6:50 PM
      Dear List,

      Late last week I received the latest issue of the Journal of
      Biblical Literature. There is only one article pertaining to
      the Synoptics this time, but that article is quite a good one:

      David Landry & Ben May, "Honor Restored: New Light on the
      Parable of the Prudent Steward (Luke 16:1-8a), JBL 119/2:
      287-209 (2000).

      After years of being puzzled by this parable, I feel now that
      I finally understand it. My problem was that I had always
      approached this parable in capitalist terms, judging the
      behaviors of the rich man and the steward with respect to the
      rich man's wealth. However, Landry & May presents a coherent
      understanding of the parable in terms of the rich man's honor.
      Landry & May also show how the Lukan context, right after the
      prodigal son, is very appropriate, further demonstrating (in
      my view) Luke's ability to fashion his gospel "in order."

      I'm wondering what other people's reactions to this article are.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5 9:32 PM
        At 09:50 PM 6/4/00 -0400, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
        >Late last week I received the latest issue of the Journal of
        >Biblical Literature. There is only one article pertaining to
        >the Synoptics this time, but that article is quite a good one:
        >
        >David Landry & Ben May, "Honor Restored: New Light on the
        > Parable of the Prudent Steward (Luke 16:1-8a), JBL 119/2:
        > 287-209 (2000).

        This article is available on-line at:

        http://personal1.stthomas.edu/dtlandry/steward.html