[Synoptic-L] (Fwd) from John Poirier

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2000
      --------------Forwarded Message-------------------

      From: "John C. Poirier" <peartre@...>
      To: <Synoptic-L@...>
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] Synoptics written within a generation of
      Christ?
      Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 23:06:19 -0500

      Mark 9:1 has been cited within this thread as evidence that Mark still
      expected an imminent parousia. But it seems to me, and to numerous
      others who have written on Mark 9:1, that the linking of Mark 9:1 with
      the Transfiguration is intended to turn the latter into the
      fulfillment of the former, in order to relieve the early Church of the
      embarrassment of a universally advertised prophecy that did not come
      true. Thus, the linking of 9:1 with 9:2-8 is actually a sign of
      *lateness*.

      By the way, the question of the length of a generation is interesting
      in itself, as Greek sources use a variety of figures. LaRoche lists
      27-, 28-, 30-, 33 1/3-, 35-, and 40-year values ("Forty-Year
      Generation Value in Livy Books I-X," in *Studies in Latin Literature
      and Roman History IV*, p. 32). Even earlier Greek sources use
      longer
      values (108 or 120 years), apparently thinking of a *genea* as a
      lifespan.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio