[Synoptic-L] KOPH

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2000
      Richard,

      An elegant parallel.

      “It is entirely possible that [Matthew]
      never expected his readers to recognize Mark or Q or anyone
      else's hand in his work, or that it never occurred to him that
      they would. “

      I’m suspicious of models necessitating early Christian players (here
      Matthew, but including Jesus) dumber than me.

      I’ve wondered whether Anicetus, Mark’s successor, who would have known
      Mk by heart, recognized what had happened when Mt appeared. Maybe not.

      In the first place, that different reports of the same event are as
      discrepant as they are found in court to be is counterintuitive. What
      you get in the synoptics is what one would naively expect, the same
      stories with slight variations. Anicetus might have read Mt as
      independent corroboration of Mk. Or, again, maybe not; he would have
      known Matthew had attended the readings. This particular relic, unlike
      others, was kept “under guard” (Clement) for the same reason
      Shakespeare’s scripts were locked up in a trunk backstage and
      distributed to the players only piecemeal.

      But also there was the Holy Spirit, a sort of parallel access to the
      events. Maybe the synoptic textual relation is what one would expect
      from pneumatic action.

      “While each writer has his own agenda, they do not
      seem to be playing their own version off against the prior
      version, but rather see the difference in emphasis as entirely
      compatible.”

      Luke goes to great pains to differentiate his version from Mt but
      doesn’t worry about “plagiarizing” Mk, which was not [c. 85] in
      circulation.

      tim
      932 E. 2nd St. #27
      Long Beach CA 90802