[Synoptic-L] Re: Peter

  • yochanan bitan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2000
      >>Rick Strelan wrote:
      >>PETROS appears not to have been a Greek name - more like a nickname for
      >>Simon. Is it possible at all that it is related to/derived from the
      Hebrew
      >>PTR which means an interpreter? Revelations written in stone [lithos] are
      >>of course not unknown. Get the drift?
      >>
      >>Any comments welcome!
      >
      >Thomas Longstaff wrote:
      >Interesting and creative but the more traditional derivation seems to me
      >more likely, namely that Peter (Greek Petros) translates the Aramaic Cepha

      >(Cephas). Both mean "stone" or "rock." Would you suggest that Simon had a
      >Hebrew nickname, PTR, "interpreter," which was then transliterated (nor
      >translated) into Greek as Petros and that this, in turn, was translated,
      >with consciousness of the pun (revelations written on stone) into Aramaic
      >to provide the alternate name, Cephas, for this apostle? I'd need
      something
      >more substantial than the hypothetical question above to convince me that
      >this possibility has much credence.

      I would like to support Rick from a different angle:
      Yes, Petros was not a Greek name and appears to have been coined within
      Hebrew.
      But, probably not as 'interpretation' >peter/patar but exactly as 'rock', a
      Greek loanword turned into a Hebrew name. Petros was was a rabbinic name,
      petra was a rabbinic loanword and shows up in a midrash about abraham as
      the petra, and "of petros" was the name of the shuq near Lod (>probably
      early/1st century/pre-Kosiba). Kefa would be an Aramaic translation for
      Asia Minor. For more info see, David Bivin, Jerusalem Perspective 46&47
      (Sept-Dec 1994:32-36, 38) "Mt 16:18: The Petros-Petra wordplay--Greek,
      Aramaic, Hebrew?"
      Single copies can be gotten at www.jerusalemperspective.com

      yisge shlamxon
      Randall Buth