Re: [Synoptic-L] Peter

  • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2000
      At 10:45 AM 5/26/00 +1000, Rick Strelan wrote:
      >PETROS appears not to have been a Greek name - more like a nickname for
      >Simon. Is it possible at all that it is related to/derived from the Hebrew
      >PTR which means an interpreter? Revelations written in stone [lithos] are
      >of course not unknown. Get the drift?
      >
      >Any comments welcome!

      Interesting and creative but the more traditional derivation seems to me
      more likely, namely that Peter (Greek Petros) translates the Aramaic Cepha
      (Cephas). Both mean "stone" or "rock." Would you suggest that Simon had a
      Hebrew nickname, PTR, "interpreter," which was then transliterated (nor
      translated) into Greek as Petros and that this, in turn, was translated,
      with consciousness of the pun (revelations written on stone) into Aramaic
      to provide the alternate name, Cephas, for this apostle? I'd need something
      more substantial than the hypothetical question above to convince me that
      this possibility has much credence.

      Dr. Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Director, African-American Studies Program
      Colby College
      4643 Mayflower Hill
      Waterville, ME 04901-8846
      Email: t_longst@...