RE: [Synoptic-L] Philemon

  • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
    Message 1 of 73 , May 19, 2000
      This discussion of whether New Testament documents were written on scrolls
      or codices has gone on for a long time (among a small number of
      participants). Most of us have lost track of the significance of the
      discussion for understanding the synoptic gospels. It seems to me that
      exchanges such as the one below are becoming more frequent in this thread
      and add little of substance to our work together.

      I'd like to remind you of our purpose. "Synoptic-L is an academic list
      devoted to scholarly discussion of the Synoptic Gospels. Its purpose is to
      provide a forum for questions relating to the exegesis of Matthew, Mark and
      / or Luke, using and analysing the standard critical tools and methods,
      with a special emphasis on the interrelationships among the Synoptics."
      While I agree with Mark Goodacre that we often need to "lighten up a bit"
      and not take ourselves too seriously, and while I certainly think that a
      little banter now and then is a good thing, there comes a point when we
      need to recognize, especially in a thread that has gone on this long, that
      one should ask, "do my comments here make a serious contribution to the
      ongoing discussion for which this list has been created?" Remember that you
      are asking hundreds of colleagues to devote some their time to reading what
      you have written.

      I'd like to ask that colleagues pause a moment before "firing off"
      above.

      Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Colby College, Waterville, ME 04901 USA
      Member of the Advisory Committee of Synoptic-L

      At 06:21 PM 5/19/00 +0100, Jacob Knee wrote:
      >I hypothesize that Philemon was written on a roll. Which fact disconfirms
      >this hypothesis.
      >
      >Jacob Knee
      >(Boston, England)

    • Thomas R. W. Longstaff