[Synoptic-L] " early christans"

    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2000
      Karel Hanhart wrote --
      >And who can assure me that the Greek speakers in Antioch were
      Just looking through the commentaries on Acts that I have to hand
      here, you could try --

      (1) F. F. Bruce, "The Acts of the Apostles" (London, 1951), pages
      235-236 on Acts 11.19-26 --
      > "Here the contrast with IOUDAIOI in verse 19 (which probably refers to
      >Greek-speaking Jews) plainly implies that the Greek speakers of verse
      >20 are Gentiles." .

      (2) G. W. H. Lampe, 'Acts' in "Peake's Commentary on the Bible" (London,
      1962) page 901 on Acts 11.19-26 --
      >"The story makes no sense if these are not Gentiles, admitted into the
      >Church without first being circumcised as Jews."

      (3) E. H. Burch, 'Acts' in "The Abingdon Bible Commentary" (London,
      1929) page 1107 on Acts 11.19-21 --
      >"The instant success of this movement was marked by large accessions
      >of Gentiles to the church. The context implies that these converts were
      >received into fellowship with Jewish Christians without first
      >submitting to the rite of circumcision."

      (4) M.Goguel, "The Birth of Christianity" (London, 1953) pages 181-182
      on Acts 11.20-21 --
      >"At Antioch those who were Gentiles were not compelled to keep the law;
      >there is no doubt that those who had been converted from Judaism
      >continued to observe Jewish customs to some extent at any rate; they
      >must not, however, have been very rigorous legalists as they agree in
      >their religious life to have close relationships with believers who
      >had remained uncircumcised."

      (5) H. Lietzmann, "The Beginnings of the Christian Church", (London,
      1937) page 171 on Acts 11.19-21 --
      >"We know further that the Hellenists who fled on account of the
      >persecution of Stephen carried on a missionary work in Phoenicia,
      >Cyprus and Antioch the capital of Syria, and that they developed the
      >last named into a centre of Christianity free from the Mosaic law. Here
      >was the first mission to the gentiles."

      (6) A. Ehrdardt, "The Acts of the Apostles" (Manchester, 1969) page 68 -
      >"These men were only loosely attached to the Jerusalem apostles and did
      >as the Spirit bade them. Quite unaware of the implications of their
      >activities, they started preaching the gospel to the Gentiles, leaving
      >it to the apostles to regularize what they had done... a new situation
      >was arising which had not been foreseen: the 'middle wall of partition'
      >between Jews and Gentiles had collapsed."

      (7) G. Luedemann, "Early Christianity according to the Traditions in
      Acts: a Commentary" (London, 1989) page 134 on Acts 11.19-20 --
      >"That is in contrast to v.20 which follows, according to which members
      >of the Hellenists also preached to the Gentiles...Also underlying
      >vv.19f. is the scheme 'to the Jews first - then to the Gentiles', which
      >also holds for Luke's Paul (cf. Acts 13.5,14; 14.1; 16.13; 17.1f.;

      In my view, it may well have been that in such a context the Greek Notes
      were produced as a set of teaching notes in Greek for teaching Jesus
      tradition to Greek-speaking Gentile converts to Christianity who had
      virtually no background knowledge of the Jewish scriptures.