Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: The Critical Edition of Q

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2000
      ----------
      > From: Maluflen@...
      > To: Synoptic-L@...
      > Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: The Critical Edition of Q
      > Date: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 4:10 PM
      >
      > In a message dated 5/2/2000 3:17:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > yuku@... writes:
      >
      > << You may recall
      > that I recently posted a long post where I demonstrated that in the case
      of
      > the anointing scene Lk seems to preserve the earliest version. Hardly
      seems
      > like this derived from Mk/Mt >>
      >
      > I recall your attempt to demonstrate this point, but I also recall being
      more
      > than usually unimpressed by the validity of your argument. You ignore,
      for
      > one thing, the arguments of scholars that show this story to be
      secondarily
      > adapted by Luke to serve as an illustration of his theology of
      forgiveness of
      > sins by Jesus predicted by John the Baptist, who, in Luke's view (contra
      > Matt) shows John preaching a baptism of repentance (administered by
      himself)
      > unto (eis) the remission of sins (effected by Jesus) (see the setting of
      the
      > story of the woman-sinner in Lk 7).
      >
      > By the way, this alternative view of the history of this story reveals a
      > serious ambiguity in your final statement and what it is taken to imply:
      > "Hardly seems like this derived from Mk/Mt". You apparently conclude from

      > this that Luke's version must have preceded Matthew's (or Mark's, or
      both).
      > This does not necessarily follow at all. A later version, dependent for
      > substance on an earlier version, can very well nevertheless seem, in
      other
      > respects, not to "derive" from the earlier one.

      Yes, Leonard, it can, but generally, as you must admit, a later version,
      dependent for substance on an earlier version, does betray its derivation
      from the earlier one.

      > It all depends on how
      > creative an author is at work with the material in question. In my
      judgment,
      > the story of the woman as told in Lk 7 clearly reflects a theology of
      > forgiveness of sins through the agency of Jesus that marks it, together
      with
      > many other passages of Lk and Acts, as secondary to the Gospel of Matthew
      at
      > least, and contemporary with the redactive activity of Luke himself.

      So you think this story is secondarily adapted by Luke to serve as an
      illustration of his theology of forgiveness of sins by Jesus predicted by
      John the Baptist?

      Well, Leonard, lots of things are possible, but are they probable? After
      all, it's also possible that Boston in England derived its name from
      Boston, Massachusetts?

      Besides, is your counter-proposal really falsifiable, in the Popperian
      sense? How would one falsify your theory? In other words, how would one set
      about disproving that this story is secondarily adapted by Luke to serve as
      an illustration of his theology of forgiveness of sins by Jesus predicted
      by John the Baptist?

      Let me remind you that those theories that are not falsifiable are
      generally not considered scientific.

      And you have the following points still to deal with,

      - anointing seems like an intrusion in the text of Mt/Mk
      - this scene contains some clearly late features in Mt/Mk

      And you're not even beginning to deal with all the issues associated with
      the Pepysian Gospels as yet.

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      Biblical history list http://www.egroups.com/group/loisy - unmoderated