[Synoptic-L] Alternative sayings source(s)? (was: The Critical Edition of Q)

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2000
      Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

      >The Q now seems to me like it may refer to the loose (or even partly
      >connected) collections of sayings that existed in various forms in 1st and
      >2nd centuries. One thing that can hardly be denied by Q critics is that
      >such loose sayings collections did exist. Surely some such collections were
      >used by Mt (and also possibly by Mk), even if we assume that Lk is wholly
      >derivative of Mk/Mt.

      Yuri,
      I doubt the existence of multiple sayings collections, even though
      this idea seems to be supported by E.P.Sanders. If written material was
      to be preserved and propagated to the various cities in the Empire it
      would have to be copied. If it was to be copied, it would have to be
      sufficiently respected. I can't see this happening for assorted
      anonymous little collections.
      My scepticism is not about Q as such, but about the standard Q which
      is the inevitable result of the presupposition that Luke was independent
      of Matthew. With the much more likely presupposition that Luke had
      access to Matthew as well as Mark and the sayings source, there emerges
      a smaller 'Q' which does not contain Mattheanisms or narratives or
      sayings of John the Baptist, which has a logical internal structure and
      a proper beginning, and which can be seen to be the theologically
      consistent product of Christian Jews. If all *that* is not enough, both
      Paul's correspondence with the Corinthians and Papias' statement about
      TA LOGIA provide evidence of the existence of the document. (For further
      info. see my Web site under "synoptic gospel sources".)

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...