Re: [Synoptic-L] hypothesizing and difficulties

    Message 1 of 73 , May 2, 2000
      In a message dated 5/2/2000 9:10:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      jknee@... writes:

      Jacob Knee
      (Boston, England)

      For the sake of the argument, I will hypothesize that, historically,
      migrations of Englishmen from my neck of the woods ended up in a little
      corner of Great Britain which they named Boston, after the great city of
      Boston Massachusetts, the hub of the universe. (The "z" of hypothesize got
      lost, though, somewhere in the Atlantic, I think).

      << My point is that hypothesising that such and such was an event in the past
      does not in itself provide any reasons for believing that such and such
      truly _was_ an event in the past. There will be many hypotheses of possible
      pasts (i.e events that possibly occured in 'the real world'). Historians
      make reasoned arguments about which 'possible pasts' are more likely.>>

      Leonard Maluf
    • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Message 73 of 73 , May 19, 2000
        This discussion of whether New Testament documents were written on scrolls
        or codices has gone on for a long time (among a small number of
        participants). Most of us have lost track of the significance of the
        discussion for understanding the synoptic gospels. It seems to me that
        exchanges such as the one below are becoming more frequent in this thread
        and add little of substance to our work together.

        I'd like to remind you of our purpose. "Synoptic-L is an academic list
        devoted to scholarly discussion of the Synoptic Gospels. Its purpose is to
        provide a forum for questions relating to the exegesis of Matthew, Mark and
        / or Luke, using and analysing the standard critical tools and methods,
        with a special emphasis on the interrelationships among the Synoptics."
        While I agree with Mark Goodacre that we often need to "lighten up a bit"
        and not take ourselves too seriously, and while I certainly think that a
        little banter now and then is a good thing, there comes a point when we
        need to recognize, especially in a thread that has gone on this long, that
        one should ask, "do my comments here make a serious contribution to the
        ongoing discussion for which this list has been created?" Remember that you
        are asking hundreds of colleagues to devote some their time to reading what
        you have written.

        I'd like to ask that colleagues pause a moment before "firing off"
        above.

        Thomas R. W. Longstaff
        Colby College, Waterville, ME 04901 USA
        Member of the Advisory Committee of Synoptic-L