Re: [Synoptic-L] Traditionalism in Matthew (was: CRISTOS and .....)

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2000
      In a message dated 4/2/2000 3:50:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      t_longst@... writes:

      I think that reference to the Birkhat haMinim is problematic for describing
      the context of any of the gospels, except for Lou Martyn's view that John
      9:22 reflects it, or something very like it. Even there, however, serious
      points of criticism have been offered and must be considered.>>

      In an off-list discussion with Jack Kilmon earlier today I wrote the

      ...My whole point is that there is nothing in Matt that suggests that
      "expulsion" from synagogues is a "current" experience for anyone in the
      Matthean community, as it clearly is in the case of John (16:2). On the basis
      of synagogue evidence, then, it is simply unjustified to date both gospels
      within the same decade or two. We know from Paul's experiences (2 Cor 11:24)
      that a Jewish-Christian missionary could well have been (and indeed was, if
      we believe Paul here) flogged in synagogues in the 40's or 50's C.E. And this
      is the only kind of synagogue evidence we find in Matt.