Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: godfearers and reference help

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
      In a message dated 00-03-31 19:56:21 EST, jbtucker@... writes:

      << f this is the case, and I agree that it is, it weakens Trebilco�s
      argument in Dictionary of the Later New Testament, 292. He also
      references

      Persius, Sat. 5.179-84. concerning lighting lamps.

      Ovid, Ars amatoria 1.413-16. not working on the Sabbath.

      as support. Does anyone have access to what these t[w]o references say, >>

      The Perseus Satires are in the same volume of LCL as are the Satires of
      Juvenal. I don't believe I have Ovid, Ars amatoria handy. The lines from
      Perseus are as follows:

      ...at cum
      Herodis venere dies unctaque fenestra
      dispositae pinguem nebulam vomuere lucernae
      portantes violas rubrumque amplexa catinum
      cauda natat thynni, tumet alba fidelia vino,
      labra moves tacitus recutitaque sabbata palles.

      ....but when
      Herod's birthday comes round, and, placed about the greasy windows
      the lamps wearing violets have vomited their luscious cloud [of smoke],
      when the floppy tunnies' tails are curled round the ruddy dish
      and the white vessel swells with wine,
      you silently move your lips, turning pale at the circumcised sabbath.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2000
        In a message dated 3/31/2000 8:51:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jbtucker@... writes:

        << If this is the case, and I agree that it is, it weakens Trebilco’s
        argument in Dictionary of the Later New Testament, 292. He also