Re: [Synoptic-L] The Miracle Maker

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2000
      On 31 Mar 00, at 8:13, Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:

      [Mark:]

      > I am puzzled about this one. What do Jews look like? To be fair, we
      > have certain stereotypes, but in my experience there are many Jews
      who
      > do not fit that stereotype - and I suspect that it was true in late
      > antiquity as well.

      Good point, of course. Actually, when I looked at my second
      message I wondered if anyone would ask that. Without wanting to
      dig myself in deeper, I suppose that what I mean is that he is not the
      stereotypical western blond haired, blue eyed, square jawed Jesus.
      When I saw Jesus in The Miracle Maker, he looked Jewish to me and
      I assume that it was a conscious attempt on their part to evoke that
      feeling in viewers. But perhaps it's just me. Incidentally, if you get
      time, you can see some pictures:

      http://www.themiraclemaker.com/story/images.html

      I've got information about other Jesus films on the NT Gateway
      (which incidentally now has a much easier to remember address at
      ntgateway.com, in full http://www.ntgateway.com)

      Mark

      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      The New Testament Gateway
      All-in-One Biblical Resources Search