[Synoptic-L] Godfearers, the Aphrodisas Inscription, and Josephus CORRECTION

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2000
      Reading over the last paragraph in my post to Yuri on this subject, I
      noted several words had fallen out, thus probably making what I was
      trying to say incomprehensible. So here is the last paragraph as I
      actually intended it:

      ********

      In any case, even if what he reports as true is true (and I doubt that
      this
      Whiston translation reflects accurately Jospehus' Greek), does your
      conclusion
      that the only Gentiles to whom the early church preached or accepted
      within
      their fold were Gentiles who had adopted religious observances, let
      alone that
      he regarded them as QEOBESOI even assuming that that term had the
      technical
      meaning it reputedly had, actually follow? Hardly.

      In the absence of evidence that outside of Luke's usage
      QEOBESH **had** the technical meaning you think it has AND, notably, the
      absence of this term in the Josephan text you refer to, it should not
      automatically be assumed that the Gentiles Josephus speaks of here are
      the same
      as the Gentiles to whom Luke refers as QEOBESOI. Indeed, using the
      scientific
      historical principles that you espouse, it would seem that the most that
      the
      Josephus text warrants being said about the Gentiles that it mentions is
      that
      they were Gentiles who adopted some practices associated with Judaism.
      But
      since the practices ("observances") that Josephus mentions are not
      spelled out in any
      detail, it is going far beyond the evidence to claim that the text is
      speaking
      about Gentiles who have attached themselves to Synagogues or who have
      all but given up their Gentile identity or who are being recognized by
      Jews as Jews.

      Jeffrey
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson