pneuma with eis

  • D Mealand
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2003
      Isn't a pneuma a sort of fiery breathy kind of stuff that makes people move
      and act - if you are in the ancient world?

      Didn't people think that an evil spirit might be inside you and come out of
      you and go into a pig - on a suitable occasion?

      Did people say that they drank a spirit?

      Did people say that it was not they who spoke but the spirit in them?

      Are there passage in which we might actually find the lexical collocation
      of pneuma and eis? A very quick look suggests 1 Thess 4.10 ... gives the holy
      spirit eis humas. But that was a quick look in the NT, maybe the LXX should
      be checked for the collocation.

      Is epi the preposition used in the LXX of 2nd Isai. at one of the relevant
      passages, I don't have a copy within 20 metres.

      These are just some random thoughts, citations and allusions.

      David M.
      Mail from .com etc. may receive temporary diversion here
      David L. Mealand * E-mail: D.Mealand@...
      University of Edinburgh * Office tel.:(+44)-131-650-8917 or 8921
      Scotland, U.K. EH1 2LX * Office fax.:(+44)-131-650-6579