Re: [Synoptic-L] was the earliest gospel Jewish Christian?

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2000
      ----------
      > From: Brian E. Wilson <brian@...>
      > To: Synoptic-L@...
      > Subject: [Synoptic-L] was the earliest gospel Jewish Christian?
      > Date: Sunday, March 05, 2000 11:27 AM

      > This brings us back full-circle to the question from the beginning of
      > this thread - "whether it is possible for the advocate of the
      > Griesbach Hypothesis to give an irreversible directional indicator
      > showing that Matthew did not use Mark". It would now appear that the
      > fact that the Gospel of Matthew is relatively Jewish compared with the
      > Gospel of Mark does not provide such an irreversible directional
      > indicator. I would suggest that there is no such irreversible
      > directional indicator that Matthew did not use Mark. I think the same
      > is also true in the reverse direction - the advocate of the Farrer
      > Hypothesis is unable to provide an irreversible directional indicator to
      > show that Mark did not use Matthew either.

      I agree with you, Brian. It seems like neither Markan priority nor Matthean
      priority can be refuted conclusively. In fact it appears that both
      positions have some validity.

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      What are the things of long ago? Tell us, that we may
      reflect on them, and know their outcome; or declare
      to us the things to come -=O=- Isaiah 41:22