[Synoptic-L] DT and Note-books (was: assumptions about Shem-Tob's Hebrew Mt

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2000
      ----------
      From: Dexter Garnier <dgarnier@...>
      To: Synoptic-L@...
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] assumptions about Shem-Tob's Hebrew Mt
      Date: Sunday, February 27, 2000 5:39 PM

      <<<
      It seems to me that when Petersen uses the words: "Latin exemplar which had
      been profoundly influenced by a Latin gospel harmony akin to the Latin
      Vorlage of the Li├Ęge Harmony" he's saying it is some kind of Diatessaronic
      witness because that is what the now lost "Latin Vorlage of the Liege
      Harmony" is, as determined by Daniel Plooij. Petersen credits Plooij (_A
      Primitive Text of the Diatessaron_ Leyden, 1923) and his discovery as
      inaugurating "a new era in Diatessaronic studies." (from "Tatian's
      Diatessaron" _Text of the New Testament in Contemporary Research_ ed. B.
      Ehrman, M. Holmes.) Petersen gives an account of Plooij's methodology in
      his
      Brill book on the Diatessaron. Briefly, as I understand it, Plooij compared
      the Liege Harmony to Codex Fuldensis, a Vulgatized Latin Harmony, and found
      that they differed and where they differed, agreements were found between
      Liege and the Diatessaron.

      Dexter,

      Yes, this is what Petersen also said in some other publications of his.
      Clearly, Liege is an important Diatessaronic witness. Petersen and many
      other scholars also agree that Diatessaron does preserve some important
      pre-canonical readings. But why is this so is not entirely clear.

      For example, it is possible that DT was based on some canonical texts that
      were later altered and/or re-edited. And so in this case DT preserves an
      earlier version of the text.

      But also it is possible that both DT and the canonical texts depend on a
      shared source (or sources). In this case, DT preserves the earlier shape of
      that source better than the canonical witnesses.

      Many questions still remain also about the genesis, the original language,
      and the early history of DT. It is pretty clear that Justin's harmony was a
      predecessor of DT, so, in a sense, DT preceded Tatian, and we can speak of
      various early recensions of DT.

      Perhaps, instead of DT, we should more properly speak of the "Harmonistic
      Fifth Gospel" that seems very early, perhaps even earlier than the
      canonicals.

      Actually, recently I'm beginning to incline towards a version of Brian
      Wilson's "Note-book" theory. Indeed, perhaps most of the materials that we
      see in our 4 canonicals may have existed in one big early compilation, and
      then the evangelists were each borrowing from it. But then this primitive
      Note-book was simply the body of liturgical materials in use by early
      Church. Where we seem to disagree with Brian is that I see this Note-book
      as not being static, but being continuously developed over time.

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      Biblical history list http://www.egroups.com/group/loisy - unmoderated

      equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian