A query

  • skelley@daemen.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 1998
      I hope that the members of the list will not be too offended if I ask a quick
      question that is not strictly within the scope of the list. I am researching
      the development of American scholarship in the last 30 years and am arguing
      that Norman Perrin was an important transition figure. I was about to
      illustrate my argument by saying how his Introductory textbook dominated the
      field in the 1970s and early 1980s, when I realized that I didn't know if that
      was true or not. When I was an undergraduate (early 80s) and a TA (mid 80s) we
      used Perrin and I had always assumed that that was rather common. Is that
      assumption accurate? Was Perrin once the introductory textbook of choice?

      Shawn Kelley
      Daemen College
      SKelley@...
      (716) 688-7114
    • Edgar Krentz
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 1998
        >I hope that the members of the list will not be too offended if I ask a quick
        >question that is not strictly within the scope of the list. I am researching
        >the development of American scholarship in the last 30 years and am arguing
        >that Norman Perrin was an important transition figure. I was about to
        >illustrate my argument by saying how his Introductory textbook dominated the
        >field in the 1970s and early 1980s, when I realized that I didn't know if
        >that
        >was true or not. When I was an undergraduate (early 80s) and a TA (mid
        >80s) we
        >used Perrin and I had always assumed that that was rather common. Is that
        >assumption accurate? Was Perrin once the introductory textbook of choice?

        In the seminaries where I taught the book of choice was the translation of
        Werner Geeorg Kuemmel.

        We also used Price for a time--less adequate.

        * Edgar Krentz, Prof. of New Testament *
        * Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago *
        * 1100 EAST 55TH STREET *
        * CHICAGO, IL 60615 *
        * Tel: [773] 256-0752; (H) [773] 947-8105 *
        * *
        * Reply to: ekrentz@... (office) *
        * or emkrentz@... (home) *