Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: style and "seams"-poirier

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2000
      In a message dated 2/10/2000 3:23:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      ButhFam@... writes:

      << As for prepositions on verb stems, that cuts both ways, (e.g. twice in the
      vineyard parable Luke uses pempsai when apostelai would be preferable).>>

      I'm not sure what you mean by apostelai would be "preferable" here. It is
      interesting that, on the 2 GH, Luke has used apostellein once when copying
      from Matthew in this text. For the second sending, he varies his vocabulary
      and uses pempsai. When writing more or less independently of Matt he uses
      pempsai here:

      (1) Luke adds a third "sending" (20:12a, with pempsai) prior to the sending
      of the son, and not found in Matt. Luke may be using 1 Sam19:18-24 as a
      remote OT model here, and he seems to absorb the "hebraism/septuagintalism"
      prosetheto....triton from this text (1 Sam 19:21), though the term pempsai
      remains his own.

      (2) Then, Luke expands the Father's pensive monologue, already found briefly
      in Matt, to fit his own typically styled monologue "ti poieso, etc.". Within
      this monologue, unlike Matt, the "sending" of the son occurs in the Father's
      speech. He says "I will send (with pempsai) my beloved son". So pempsai
      occurs three times in all in this Lukan text, to apostellein once.

      The question is: is pempsai more spontaneous Lukan vocabulary than
      appostellein where the meaning of the two is roughly equivalent? It would
      seem so from this text, on this source hypothesis, since Luke uses it in
      preference to apostellein when not following his source, and once even when
      following it. It is difficult, however, to confirm this by the criterion for
      what is "Lucan" given by Randall, namely:

      << [Another hint: what is Lucan vocabulary? Not vocabulary measured against
      Mark, ala Hawkins and followers, but vocabulary measured against Acts
      16-28.]>>

      In this part of Acts, I believe the use of pempsai and apostellein by Luke
      just about breaks even: for pempsai, Acts 19:31; 20:17; 25:25, 27 (see also
      Lk 4:26; 7:10; 16:24, 27; Acts 10:5, 32; 15:22, 25). And for apostellein in
      Acts 16-28, with personal object: 16:35, 36; 19:22; 26:17.