Did Christ questioned himself?

  • Larry Wiklund
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 1998
      Are there some good books or insights that deal with the person of Christ and
      His natures (His Divinity and His Humanity)?

      What was the purpose of the temptation in the wilderness?
      I am aware that God cannot be tempted with sin, yet he was tempted (James
      1:13 and Heb 4:15 ).

      The reason for the questions stems from a book I am reading, titled:
      "Geography of the Soul" by C. Welton Gaddy. In the chapter on called "The
      Wilderness: A Lonely Place," he says, "Though we cannot identify even
      slightly with the Messianic consciousness in Jesus, we regularly battle
      decisions about our identities and how we should best express them."

      Yet in the previous paragraph he states,
      "Day and night Jesus weighed the meaning of His identity and wrestled with
      the tension between His humanity and His divinity. Perhaps He also weighed
      various options regarding the nature of His ministry. What am I doing here?
      Am I not the son of Mary and Joseph who belongs in a carpenter's shop? But
      am I not also the Son of God charged with a mission to the world? How should
      I do this? Am I not powerful enough to do as I pleaseQto win people's loyalty
      by force if they refuse to follow Me freely in faith? What would be so wrong
      with that, if it is for their own good? Who are the models to which I should
      give attentionQElijah, one of the Maccabees, Herod, the suffering servant
      described by Isaiah? should I choose courses of action which are popular and
      sure to gain a large following, or should I conform to the promptings of God
      and risk having only a limited number of true disciples?"

      My question again is, how am I to understand the humanity of Christ as
      compared to ours?

      Dare I add another question?
      What is going on in the mind of Christ in these verses How could He be
      troubled?
      John 11:33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping
      which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,
      John 12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me
      from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.
      John 13:21 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and
      testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall
      betray me.

      Larry Wiklund
      LWiklund@...