[Synoptic-L] Statistical Work (was Number of words)

  • Dr Peter M. Head
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2000
      John C. Poirier wrote:
      "I developed a method of quantifying these "phrastic
      >agreements", by presenting a chart that adds together the lengths of
      >these agreements, after first raising them to various powers (to give
      >weight to the longer agreements)."

      It sounds interesting to me. Even from an MP view, who hasn't felt the
      force of the Minor Agreements more from the eighteen word sequential
      ("phrastic"?) agreement in Matt 8.2f // Luke 5.12f than in a hundred which
      can be isolated and treated separately. I can see some of the immense
      difficulties though.

      Have you seen Stephen Llewelyn's Maquarrie PhD: A Stylometric Analysis of
      Parallel Sections of the Synoptic Gospels (1991)? It may be of some
      relevance.

      Peter

      Dr. Peter M. Head
      Tyndale House