Re: [Synoptic-L] Number of words in the gospels (Luke)

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2000
      Dr Peter M. Head wrote:

      > It might be possible that the increase is due to changing opinions on what
      > Westcott and Hort called the Western non-interpolations, i.e. 22.19f; 24.3,
      > 6, 12, 36, 40, 51, 52.
      > But the situation is complicated by the presence of several full verses in
      > double brackets in NA 26=27 (i.e. 22.43f; 23.34). Are we confident that the
      > counts for N-A 25 and 26 exclude this material in square brackets?

      In light of Dr. Head’s postings, my figures need correcting.

      This morning, as I pulled out my NA26 to count the double-bracketed
      words in Luke 22:43-44, I discovered something alarming. The GRAMCORD
      (ver 1.2) text of Luke 22:44 mistakenly omits *katabainontes*. Of
      course, this sort of error wrecks any attempt to count the words in
      NA26. In order to double-check the entire GRAMCORD text of the synoptic
      gospels, I downloaded the text of NA26 from the Biola Open Bible
      webpage, and wrote a macro to check for parity between the Biola text
      and the GRAMCORD text. I discovered that Matthew and Mark are
      faithfully preserved, but that seven words are missing from the GRAMCORD
      text of Luke. In addition to the word missing from Luke 22:44 (noted
      above), the first six words of the Magnificat (Luke 1:47) are also
      missing. Hopefully, GRAMCORD has corrected, or will correct, this
      error.

      I am now confident that I have the correct figures for NA25 and NA26.
      Excluding words enclosed by double brackets, the figures for NA25 are:

      Matthew 18299
      Mark 11074
      Luke 19376

      The figures for NA26 are:

      Matthew 18346
      Mark 11099
      Luke 19444

      My thanks to Dr. Head for calling attention to the double brackets. My
      apologies for having posted errant figures.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio