Re: [Synoptic-L] Re:Number of words in gospels

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2000
      Ron Price wrote:

      > John,
      > The number quoted for Mark is somewhat dubious for (according to my
      > counting) it includes the longer ending and not the shorter ending,
      > whereas **both** endings are included within double square brackets in
      > NTG 26th. edn. with no indication that one has preference over the
      > other.
      > As the editors unanimously agreed that passages within double square
      > brackets were not part of the original text, there would be some merit
      > in quoting counts which exclude these. The count for Mark would then be
      > 11099 words.

      Ron,

      You're right. I had downloaded the Greek text supplied with GRAMCORD
      into a spreadsheet program, and sorted it via macros to where each word
      had its own row (for statistical work). When someone asked how many
      words were in each gospel, I simply went to my spreadsheets and counted
      the number of rows each gospel required. I forgot to subtract the
      longer ending of Mark.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio