RE: [Synoptic-L] number of letters in the gospels

  • Dr Peter M. Head
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2000
      Further to the helpful messages from Mike Parsons and Tom Long on the numbr
      of words in the gospels (to which we could add the earlier calculations of
      P. Schaff: Matt: 18,222; Mark: 11,158; Luke: 19,209, A Companion to the
      Greek Testament, 1883, p. 57), there is an interesting list of the number
      of letters (and stichoi) in the gospels in Nestle's Introduction to the
      Textual Criticism of the Greek New Testament (ET of 2nd ed., 1901), p. 48f:

      Matthew: 89,295 (letters); 2480 (stichoi)
      Mark: 55,550 (letters); 1543 (stichoi)
      Luke: 97,714 (letters); 2714 (stichoi)
      John: 70,210 (letters); 1950 (stichoi)
      Acts: 94,000 (lettters); 2610 (stichoi).

      (NB. Nestle gets the figures from Zahn, who gets them from someone called
      Graux in Revue de Philologie II - but no I haven't checked this out so I
      can't tell you which edition etc.).

      All we need now is someone to count the number of syllables.

      Cheers

      Peter

      Dr. Peter M. Head
      Tyndale House