[Synoptic-L] Christian Prophets Impact on the Synoptics

  • Brian Tucker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27 6:40 AM
      Explaining the differences in wording by saying that Jesus said something on different occasions doesn't work for the Last Supper (Mk. 14:22-25; Mt. 26:26-29; Lk. 22:19-20; 1 Cor. 11:23-26). The exact wording is different but the substance is maintained. It seems to me that this may be an example of how the early christians maintained the words of Jesus.

      1. What role did liturgy and homiletics play in the maintaining the Jesus tradition?

      2. What role did early christian prophets play in formulating the sayings of Jesus? Lord's prayer and beatitudes seem to reinforce the idea that they had an impact.

      Boring feels they had a significant impact. NTS 29:83; 104-112. Even to create sayings.
      Hill is not as convinced. NTS 20:74; 262-74.

      3. If one allows a significant role for early christian prophets in the formulation of the synoptics doesn't that cause us to limit our search to early basic sayings and hypothetical reconstructions?

      4. Which synoptic reveals the most reconstructing of sayings by early christian prophets?

      Thanks
      Brian Tucker
      jbtucker@...
      Riverview, MI