[Synoptic-L] Re: Christmas

  • Steven Craig Miller
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 16, 1999
      To: Mark Preece,

      << The author seems to be going to some lengths to establish that this all
      happens in a very compressed period of time -- in fact, on a single day. In
      light of this, is it really plausible to think "DE" ("then he led them
      out...") means anything other than "very soon thereafter"? Certainly not
      "many days later". >>

      The issue as I see it is whether one is going to accuse Luke here of
      inconsistency (and I have no problem with doing that) or impression. My
      suggestion is not that DE means "many days later," only that it means
      "but/and/then" and that Luke could have used it merely to imply that this
      event recorded in Lk 24:50 also took place. It seems to me that to be fair
      the charge of inconsistency demands a higher threshold than the accusation
      of impression (or ambiguity). Then, after you accuse Luke of inconsistency,
      you seem to want to suggest that Luke didn't care for historical details.
      Frankly, an ambiguous example as this simply can't prove such a conclusion.
      Your example would carry more weight if Luke had written, "and on this day"
      (or some such). But he didn't, all Luke wrote was "and" (DE).
      Unfortunately, the Greek particle DE doesn't tell us when.

      Also, I find it kind of ironic that one can suggest that Luke might not be
      concerned with historical details in light of such passages as Lk 1:1-4;
      2:1-2; and 3:23-38. Now here is a guy (and I assume that the author of
      Luke's gospel was male) who attempts to record Jesus' genealogy from his
      papa and grand-papa, all the way back, generation by generation, to Adam
      and ultimately to God! He obviously cares for such details, or he wouldn't
      have put them into his gospel.

      -Steven Craig Miller
      Alton, Illinois (USA)
      scmiller@...
      Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
      what do I know?"
    • Steven Craig Miller