(Fwd) Re: [Synoptic-L] Adoption of predecessors' phraseology (

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17 3:33 AM
      From: "Petros Boyd" <petros.boyd@...>
      To: <M.S.Goodacre@...>
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] Adoption of predecessors' phraseology (was RE: Re: "Lord's Prayer" & the 3SH)
      Date sent: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 19:45:16 -0000

      One of the few places I have
      > seen it explored is in Mark Matson's as yet unpublished piece
      > available on his web site, "Luke as Dialogue with Previous Gospels",
      > http://www.pubpol.duke.edu/people/faculty/matson/Bauckham.html.

      Thanks for calling our attention to this very interesting note.
      If Luke's preface is compared with that of Josephus, the question
      whether the intention of his gospel is to 'correct' possibly misleading
      data in the earlier undertakings. So the promise to write akribos and
      kathexes confirms serious and even critical engagement with already
      published works.

      On the question of naive readers, how would we assess
      Luke writes so that he may have asphaleia ['safety' or 'certainty' ?] in
      the matters in which he has received instruction. The instruction left him
      still needing information that is guranteed. Clearly Theophilus could
      have been his literary patron. If so the community aspect tends to fall
      into the back-ground.. Yet the claim that he the events 'have been
      fulfilled among us' suggests that the community context is not totally
      But is there any need for an either/or on this question? Why not
      'both /and' We have to balance the cost of publication which might
      need the kind of financial support a community could give to a costly
      undertaking of producing in Luke's case a two-volume wor on
      Also Luke in Acts provides evidence of numerous churches not
      founded by
      any known apostle, but as a result of vigorous natural expansion of the
      Cbristian faith. They would doubtless have many naive readers as well
      sophisticated ones. The whole thrust of Luke-Acts is characterised
      by the
      universal character of the Gospel for a whole empire and world, more
      than Matthew or Mark, yet that need not rule out a community of faith
      a high calling to witness to the world.