Re: [Synoptic-L] Adoption of predecessors' phraseology (was RE: Re: "Lord's Prayer" & the 3SH)

  • Petros Boyd
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6 11:45 AM
      One of the few places I have
      > seen it explored is in Mark Matson's as yet unpublished piece
      > available on his web site, "Luke as Dialogue with Previous Gospels",
      > http://www.pubpol.duke.edu/people/faculty/matson/Bauckham.html.

      Thanks for calling our attention to this very interesting note.
      If Luke's preface is compared with that of Josephus, the question arises
      whether the intention of his gospel is to 'correct' possibly misleading data
      in the earlier undertakings. So the promise to write akribos and kathexes
      confirms serious and even critical engagement with already published works.

      On the question of naive readers, how would we assess Theophilus?
      Luke writes so that he may have asphaleia ['safety' or 'certainty' ?] in the
      matters in which he has received instruction. The instruction left him still
      needing information that is guranteed. Clearly Theophilus could have been
      his literary patron. If so the community aspect tends to fall into the
      back-ground.. Yet the claim that he the events 'have been fulfilled among
      us' suggests that the community context is not totally absent.
      But is there any need for an either/or on this question? Why not
      'both /and' We have to balance the cost of publication which might need
      the kind of financial support a community could give to a costly undertaking
      of producing in Luke's case a two-volume wor on papyrus. Also Luke in Acts
      provides evidence of numerous churches not founded by any known apostle, but
      as a result of vigorous natural expansion of the Cbristian faith. They would
      doubtless have many naive readers as well as sophisticated ones. The whole
      thrust of Luke-Acts is characterised by the universal character of the
      Gospel for a whole empire and world, more so than Matthew or Mark, yet that
      need not rule out a community of faith with a high calling to witness to the