[Synoptic-L] Farrer, 1957?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 1999
      Please excuse me for bringing up something apparently so trivial, but it is relevant
      to a paper I am writing at the moment. When was Farrer's "On Dispensing with
      Q" first published? I have seen at least two copies of the book edited by
      Nineham in which it originally appeared and both say 1955. I have never heard
      of a later reprint. But Kloppenborg consistently gives the date as 1957 (_The
      Shape of Q_ introduction, 1992; "Theological Stakes in the Synoptic Problem",
      1992). It occurred to me that this may be because he is using the reprint in
      Bellinzoni (ed.) and that that might make the error. Could anyone who has a copy
      of Bellinzoni kindly check it for me?

      The relevance is simply that I have been wondering whether Farrer had heard of
      the Gospel of Thomas before he wrote "On Dispensing with Q". Personally, I
      doubt it since the editio princeps was not published until 1959. Farrer famously
      commented that "There is no independent evidence for anything like Q. To
      postulate Q is to postulate the unevidenced and the unique" (p. 58) and, further
      "We have no reason to suppose documents of the Q type to have been plentiful"
      (ibid.).

      But Kloppenborg comments:

      "It is not altogether clear what Farrer meant by 'documents of the Q type'. In
      1957 a sayings gospel such as the _Gospel of Thomas_ was already published
      and the Oxyrhynchus fragments had been available for more than half a century."
      ("Theological Stakes", p. 115).

      Fate was quite cruel to Farrer: no sooner had he made these comments than the
      discovery of Thomas became known. But I suspect that it is a little unfair to point
      to the "publication" of Thomas in this context.

      Mark
      --------------------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      The New Testament Gateway
      Mark Without Q
      Aseneth Home Page
    • Jacob Knee
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 1999
        In Bellinzoni 'The Two Source Hypothesis: A Critical Appraisal' the Farrer
        article is reprinted with a footnote pointing to its original publication in
        1955. It is similarly dated in the bibliography.

        Best wishes,
        Jacob Knee
        (Boston, England)

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 1999
          Mark Goodacre writes -

          >When was Farrer's "On Dispensing with Q" first published? I have seen
          >at least two copies of the book edited by Nineham in which it
          >originally appeared, and both say 1955. I have never heard of a later
          >reprint. But Kloppenborg consistently gives the date as 1957 (_The
          >Shape of Q_ introduction, 1992; "Theological Stakes in the Synoptic
          >Problem", 1992).

          There has been at least one re-print. My copy of (ed.) D. E. Nineham,
          "Studies in the Gospels" has, at the bottom of the title page, -
          "Oxford, Basil Blackwell, 1967".

          E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE
          SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 1999
            >Mark Goodacre writes -
            >>When was Farrer's "On Dispensing with Q" first published? I have seen
            >>at least two copies of the book edited by Nineham in which it
            >>originally appeared, and both say 1955. I have never heard of a later
            >>reprint. But Kloppenborg consistently gives the date as 1957 (_The
            >>Shape of Q_ introduction, 1992; "Theological Stakes in the Synoptic
            >>Problem", 1992).
            >
            >There has been at least one re-print. My copy of (ed.) D. E. Nineham,
            >"Studies in the Gospels" has, at the bottom of the title page, -
            >"Oxford, Basil Blackwell, 1967".

            I am able to confirm Jacob Knee's response that Bellinzoni twice cites
            Farrer as 1955.

            Like Brian, I also own the 1967 reprint. On the verso of the title
            page, it says, "First published 1955. Reprinted 1957, 1967."
            Therefore, it was reprinted in 1957 (and 1967).

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 12, 1999
              As a follow-up to my previous message, even though the Lightfoot Festschrift
              was published in 1955 (and reprinted in 1957 and 1967), it is probable that
              Farrer wrote his essay up to two years earlier. On p. xvii in the dedication
              of the book to the memory of R. H. Lightfoot (1883-1953), Nineham wrote, "We
              are only sorry that various unavoidable delays prevented its publication in
              time for us to present it to him in person." This comment suggests that all
              the articles were drafted within Lightfoot's lifetime, i.e., by 1953.