Re: [Synoptic-L] Bart Ehrman's Introduction and Markan Priority

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 1999
      On 7 Nov 99, at 1:32, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

      > Ehrman's discussion of Markan priority is found on pages 73-75. For
      > his first argument, he notes that "it is extremely rare to find Matthew
      > and Luke sharing the wording of a story also found in Mark when Mark
      > differs." This observation, of course, is that Mark is the middle term.
      > Ehrman seems to think that this fact points to Markan priority, because
      > this pattern would not emerge "[i]f Matthew were the source for Mark and
      > Luke, or if Luke were the source for Matthew and Mark." The problem with
      > this argument is that Ehrman did not consider all the cases, since he
      > assumed that if one gospel was the source of the other two, the other two
      > did not know each other.

      Agreed. But there is another problem here that I find more troubling
      still: the statement of the data is misleading. It is actually relatively
      common "to find Matthew and Luke sharing the wording of a story
      also found in Mark when Mark differs": John the Baptist, Temptation,
      Mustard Seed, Beelzebul, Mission Discourse etc. The reason that
      this does not get noticed is the category of "Mark-Q overlap", a
      category that immunizes people against spotting the clear occurrences
      of the kind of data the 2ST is supposed to exclude.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      The New Testament Gateway
      Mark Without Q