Re: [Synoptic-L] list decorum

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
      In a message dated 11/2/1999 9:53:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      smcginn@... writes:

      << Mr. Maluf, your repeated pot-shots at other members of the list are not
      appreciated. I would suggest re-reading the information concerning list
      decorum. These sorts of ad hominem remarks certainly are excluded by the
      list
      protocols. If you seriously are not aware of how insulting you are being,
      then
      perhaps you would enlist the aid of a friend or colleague to help you edit
      your
      submissions before you send them to the list.>>

      I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
      apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
      perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
      attack. My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
      ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list. However, the consensus of list
      members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
      judgment for purposes of this public forum. For this reason I am voluntarily
      grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
      of at least two-months, until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
      stricter interpretation of list protocol. Again, I offer my apologies to all,
      and particularly to those with whom I have recently been directing
      (apparently) hurtful comments, especially Mr. Steven Miller.

      I wish all a blessed upcoming Advent and Christmas season, and request your
      continued prayers.

      Leonard Maluf
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
        Maluflen@... wrote:

        > I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
        > apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
        > perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
        > attack.

        Maybe when you get to be an old curmudgeon like myself, the skin
        grows thicker..but for the life of me, I have not detected anything
        in your posts (which I have found to be very informative, by the way)
        to even cause one of my graying eyebrows to raise.

        > My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
        > ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list. However, the consensus of list
        > members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
        > judgment for purposes of this public forum.

        And just how many form that "consensus?"

        > For this reason I am voluntarily
        > grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
        > of at least two-months, until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
        > stricter interpretation of list protocol.

        I have been getting a great deal out of your exchanges. Whether or not one
        agrees with a premise or a conclusion, the discussion of the methodology and
        approach is invaluable in quality discourse. I am going to ask you not to
        cease participation.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
          I would like to request that the current thread on "list decorum" ends
          immediately. It is always preferable to deal with this kind of issue off-
          list, in discussion with the people concerned or in discussion with the
          coordinators, to whom any further comments on this should be
          addressed.