[Synoptic-L] semitic background and more central concerns

  • yochanan bitan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 1999
      >Would you agree that the Minor Agreements become a much more significant
      >difficulty for the Two Document Hypothesis once it is realized that they
      >include Hebraisms? If so, would you like to expand on this a little? It
      >seems to me a very important point for the study of the Synoptic
      >Problem.

      to do something properly would be more open ended and would take more time
      than i can put into email.
      yes, there are examples, like the kai idou you quoted.
      several often-overlooked items continually need to be examined like
      imperfect vs. aorist verbs, idiomatic singulars versus plurals, complex
      vocabulary versus simple stem vocabulary (inc. adverbial -os, a-privative,
      prepositional compounds), word order of course.
      and minor agreements are important, especially if hebraic. but minor
      agreements tend to be short and they are usually ignored, hebraic or
      otherwise.
      'much more significant' is probably an overstatement when singly applied to
      minor agreements, since the minor agreements are already marginalized by
      the name minor.

      the bottom line, of course, is that this is very fertile ground for study
      and repays the investment.

      braxot
      randall but