Re: [Synoptic-L] list decorum

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
      In a message dated 11/2/1999 9:53:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      smcginn@... writes:

      << Mr. Maluf, your repeated pot-shots at other members of the list are not
      appreciated. I would suggest re-reading the information concerning list
      decorum. These sorts of ad hominem remarks certainly are excluded by the
      list
      protocols. If you seriously are not aware of how insulting you are being,
      then
      perhaps you would enlist the aid of a friend or colleague to help you edit
      your
      submissions before you send them to the list.>>

      I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
      apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
      perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
      attack. My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
      ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list. However, the consensus of list
      members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
      judgment for purposes of this public forum. For this reason I am voluntarily
      grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
      of at least two-months, until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
      stricter interpretation of list protocol. Again, I offer my apologies to all,
      and particularly to those with whom I have recently been directing
      (apparently) hurtful comments, especially Mr. Steven Miller.

      I wish all a blessed upcoming Advent and Christmas season, and request your
      continued prayers.

      Leonard Maluf
    • jim west
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
        At 01:09 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Leonard wrote:

        >I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
        >apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
        >perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
        >attack.

        For myself, none of your comments seemed of a personal nature at all anyway.
        You have always been profoundly cordial to all participants- and in my view
        especially to those with whom you disagree.

        >My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
        >ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list.

        Having had the privilege of meeting Leonard a couple of years ago at the CBA
        meeting in Scranton I can attest that he is extremely pleasant to be around
        and as learned in conversation in person as he is on this list (and others).
        I was honored in Scranton to even share a meal with him and I can assure all
        (even and especially those on list who seem to have the skin of a snake for
        thinness) that he is not the abrasive or inconsiderate type. (I, on the
        other hand am quite abrasive as you all well know- so I can esaily spot my
        opposite).

        >However, the consensus of list

        With you, dear sir, I must forcefully disagree. Only two people that I know
        of have taken your comments incorrectly (and I add with haste that it is
        THEIR misperception that is in error and not your activity on list). That
        is hardly a consensus. Even in America two people do not a majority make.

        >members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
        >judgment for purposes of this public forum.

        Their judgement is wrong.

        >For this reason I am voluntarily
        >grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
        >of at least two-months,

        This is, to be blunt, a colossal misfortune. Your comments add more to the
        list than anyone besides the list owner's. If you do not participate because
        of time constraints that is one thing- but if you withdraw because of the
        ridiculously hypersensitive and almost silly complaints of a couple of
        people that is quite another! I urge you in the strongest possible terms to
        reconsider. Don't leave off active participation because a couple of folk
        have skin far too thin to hold their sinew in much less engage in the
        rigours of hearty academic discussion.

        >until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
        >stricter interpretation of list protocol.

        This I reinterpret to mean that you are thinking of capitulating to the
        pharisaical party of overindulged political correctness rather than an
        accurate reading of list protocol.

        >Again, I offer my apologies to all,

        Completely, absolutely, unnecessary.

        >and particularly to those with whom I have recently been directing
        >(apparently) hurtful comments, especially Mr. Steven Miller.

        If anyone was hurt I frankly dont see how. Thoe only ones hurt in truth are
        those of us who will not be allowed the benefit of your wisdom because of
        the capriciousness of the maladroit.

        >I wish all a blessed upcoming Advent and Christmas season, and request your
        >continued prayers.

        This sounds too much like farewell. I for one refuse to accept it. So, we
        shall have time aplenty in the coming weeks to wish one another blessedness.

        Best,

        Jim

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Jim West, ThD
        jwest@...
        http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
          Maluflen@... wrote:

          > I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
          > apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
          > perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
          > attack.

          Maybe when you get to be an old curmudgeon like myself, the skin
          grows thicker..but for the life of me, I have not detected anything
          in your posts (which I have found to be very informative, by the way)
          to even cause one of my graying eyebrows to raise.

          > My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
          > ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list. However, the consensus of list
          > members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
          > judgment for purposes of this public forum.

          And just how many form that "consensus?"

          > For this reason I am voluntarily
          > grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
          > of at least two-months, until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
          > stricter interpretation of list protocol.

          I have been getting a great deal out of your exchanges. Whether or not one
          agrees with a premise or a conclusion, the discussion of the methodology and
          approach is invaluable in quality discourse. I am going to ask you not to
          cease participation.

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          jkilmon@...

          http://www.historian.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
            I would like to request that the current thread on "list decorum" ends
            immediately. It is always preferable to deal with this kind of issue off-
            list, in discussion with the people concerned or in discussion with the
            coordinators, to whom any further comments on this should be
            addressed.