[Synoptic-L] list decorum

  • Sheila McGinn
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
      Maluflen@... wrote:
      I think, however, that it would be far more productive, and more appropriate for this format, if you would instead attempt to deal with some of the evidence Farmer adduces in support of his positions. I realize that this would be a considerably more challenging undertaking.  ...  I am wholeheartedly agreeing with the substance of Farmer's remark, and wondering, to boot, whether anyone is really so naive as to question its validity.  Leonard Maluf [emphasis added]
      Mr. Maluf, your repeated pot-shots at other members of the list are not appreciated.  I would suggest re-reading the information concerning list decorum.  These sorts of ad hominem remarks certainly are excluded by the list protocols.  If you seriously are not aware of how insulting you are being, then perhaps you would enlist the aid of a friend or colleague to help you edit your submissions before you send them to the list.

      SEM

      --
      Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor

      "It didn't take long to see morality as the quickest way to avoid self-loathing."
           Sue Grafton, "L" is for Lawless (New York: Holt, 1995), 205.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
        In a message dated 11/2/1999 9:53:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        smcginn@... writes:

        << Mr. Maluf, your repeated pot-shots at other members of the list are not
        appreciated. I would suggest re-reading the information concerning list
        decorum. These sorts of ad hominem remarks certainly are excluded by the
        list
        protocols. If you seriously are not aware of how insulting you are being,
        then
        perhaps you would enlist the aid of a friend or colleague to help you edit
        your
        submissions before you send them to the list.>>

        I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
        apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
        perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
        attack. My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
        ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list. However, the consensus of list
        members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
        judgment for purposes of this public forum. For this reason I am voluntarily
        grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
        of at least two-months, until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
        stricter interpretation of list protocol. Again, I offer my apologies to all,
        and particularly to those with whom I have recently been directing
        (apparently) hurtful comments, especially Mr. Steven Miller.

        I wish all a blessed upcoming Advent and Christmas season, and request your
        continued prayers.

        Leonard Maluf
      • jim west
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
          At 01:09 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Leonard wrote:

          >I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
          >apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
          >perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
          >attack.

          For myself, none of your comments seemed of a personal nature at all anyway.
          You have always been profoundly cordial to all participants- and in my view
          especially to those with whom you disagree.

          >My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
          >ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list.

          Having had the privilege of meeting Leonard a couple of years ago at the CBA
          meeting in Scranton I can attest that he is extremely pleasant to be around
          and as learned in conversation in person as he is on this list (and others).
          I was honored in Scranton to even share a meal with him and I can assure all
          (even and especially those on list who seem to have the skin of a snake for
          thinness) that he is not the abrasive or inconsiderate type. (I, on the
          other hand am quite abrasive as you all well know- so I can esaily spot my
          opposite).

          >However, the consensus of list

          With you, dear sir, I must forcefully disagree. Only two people that I know
          of have taken your comments incorrectly (and I add with haste that it is
          THEIR misperception that is in error and not your activity on list). That
          is hardly a consensus. Even in America two people do not a majority make.

          >members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
          >judgment for purposes of this public forum.

          Their judgement is wrong.

          >For this reason I am voluntarily
          >grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
          >of at least two-months,

          This is, to be blunt, a colossal misfortune. Your comments add more to the
          list than anyone besides the list owner's. If you do not participate because
          of time constraints that is one thing- but if you withdraw because of the
          ridiculously hypersensitive and almost silly complaints of a couple of
          people that is quite another! I urge you in the strongest possible terms to
          reconsider. Don't leave off active participation because a couple of folk
          have skin far too thin to hold their sinew in much less engage in the
          rigours of hearty academic discussion.

          >until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
          >stricter interpretation of list protocol.

          This I reinterpret to mean that you are thinking of capitulating to the
          pharisaical party of overindulged political correctness rather than an
          accurate reading of list protocol.

          >Again, I offer my apologies to all,

          Completely, absolutely, unnecessary.

          >and particularly to those with whom I have recently been directing
          >(apparently) hurtful comments, especially Mr. Steven Miller.

          If anyone was hurt I frankly dont see how. Thoe only ones hurt in truth are
          those of us who will not be allowed the benefit of your wisdom because of
          the capriciousness of the maladroit.

          >I wish all a blessed upcoming Advent and Christmas season, and request your
          >continued prayers.

          This sounds too much like farewell. I for one refuse to accept it. So, we
          shall have time aplenty in the coming weeks to wish one another blessedness.

          Best,

          Jim

          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Jim West, ThD
          jwest@...
          http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
            Maluflen@... wrote:

            > I am persuaded by this and other recent comments that I owe the list an
            > apology for much of my recent writing. I wish to protest one more time,
            > perhaps in vain, that not a single remark of mine was intended as a personal
            > attack.

            Maybe when you get to be an old curmudgeon like myself, the skin
            grows thicker..but for the life of me, I have not detected anything
            in your posts (which I have found to be very informative, by the way)
            to even cause one of my graying eyebrows to raise.

            > My frustration is with ideas and systems, not with people; I bear no
            > ill will whatsoever to anyone on this list. However, the consensus of list
            > members clearly interprets my comments differently, and so I accept their
            > judgment for purposes of this public forum.

            And just how many form that "consensus?"

            > For this reason I am voluntarily
            > grounding myself from active participation in list discussions for a period
            > of at least two-months, until I can learn how to behave in accordance with a
            > stricter interpretation of list protocol.

            I have been getting a great deal out of your exchanges. Whether or not one
            agrees with a premise or a conclusion, the discussion of the methodology and
            approach is invaluable in quality discourse. I am going to ask you not to
            cease participation.

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            jkilmon@...

            http://www.historian.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
              I would like to request that the current thread on "list decorum" ends
              immediately. It is always preferable to deal with this kind of issue off-
              list, in discussion with the people concerned or in discussion with the
              coordinators, to whom any further comments on this should be
              addressed.