[Synoptic-L] Scribes

  • Robert Leonzio
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1999
      Realizing that this question may not be totally appropriate for this list, I hope that, because of the depth of knowledge of some of the contributors, someone will be able to help me interpret a VodSoden reference.
      I am trying to decipher the following VodSodon reference without much success.
      Scribe: Leontius [XI] Manuscript: 186 (VS: Ac)

      Can anyone tell me which scripture document this reference pertains to? Please feel free to respond directly to me off-line.

      Bob Leonzio
      University of Pennsylvania
      bob@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
        Robert Leonzio wrote -

        >I am trying to decipher the following Von Soden reference without much
        >success.
        >
        >Scribe: Leontius [XI] Manuscript: 186 (VS: Ac)
        >
        >Can anyone tell me which scripture document this reference pertains to?

        I have also been struggling to track down some references to von Soden
        recently. I would suggest that according to von Soden's composite
        classification, "186" means "Number 18 written in the 6th Century". I
        think von Soden would probably have preceded the "186" with a lower-case
        epsilon (for EUANGELIA) to show that it consisted of material from the
        Gospels only.

        According to von Soden, (e)18(6) indicates the uncial Codex Rossanensis
        which is kept at Rossano. It was produced in silver letters on purple
        parchment with full-page illustrations, probably in the 6th century.
        Since the lapse of von Soden's system, Rossanensis has been indicated by
        a capital SIGMA in the Wettstein classification of uncials (because
        SIGMA is the 18th letter of the Greek alphabet), and by 042 in Gregory's
        notation.

        I have found a useful 'Catalogus codicum graecorum I' in Augustine
        Merk's Greek/Latin edition of the text of the New Testament (A. Merk,
        "Novum Testamentum Graece et Latine" - Rome, l984 - tenth edition, pages
        26-37). For each NT Greek manuscript listed, this neatly tabulates the
        Wettstein/Gregory and von Soden (without century) symbols, followed by
        the century in which the manuscript is thought to have been written, the
        place where the manuscript is kept, a coded summary of its contents, and
        a final "recension" entry. The table therefore cross-references von
        Soden with Wettstein/Gregory.

        I have used Merk's table in conjunction with K. Aland & A. Aland "The
        Text of the New Testament" translated by E. R. Rhodes - Leiden 1987 -
        which gives a descriptive list of Papyri, Uncials and Minuscules of the
        NT, using both the Wettstein and Gregory classifications (pages
        106-155).

        Codex Rossanensis contains the Gospels of Matthew and Mark. According to
        Aland and Aland, and others, it has a very similar "Byzantine" text to
        that found in Codex Purpureus Petropolitanus (von Soden (e)19(6),
        Wettstein/Gregory N/022) most of which is kept in St Petersburg, and
        which also was an uncial written in silver ink on purple vellum probably
        in the sixth century.

        E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE
        SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,