Re: transliterations on Synoptic-L

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 1998
      At 02:19 2/13/98 -0500, James R. Adair wrote:
      >The Synoptic-L Web page (http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l)
      >suggests using the B-Greek transliteration scheme for rendering Greek in
      >e-mail messages. I think that it might be preferable to use the TLG
      >encoding scheme (which differs from B-Greek only in that xi=C and chi=X)
      >instead, since it is a more widely recognized standard, used for both
      >classical and NT Greek. All of the electronic Greek NT files that I have
      >use TLG, and we have adopted it on the tc-list as well. What do others
      >think?

      The B-Greek transliteration scheme also differs in a few other places
      from TLG, especially in handling the breathings. I believe that the
      intent for Synoptic-L is similar to B-Greek: not to be dogmatic about
      any one particular transliteration scheme but suggest a popular system
      that many have found useful, viz. the B-Greek version. Since everyone
      on Synoptic-L is generally expected to know Greek, it is usually not
      that difficult to read Greek in another transliteration system. Of
      course, if you are copying-and-pasting texts from TLG encoded files,
      don't feel that you must go through the bother and trouble of recoding
      your Greek into the suggested scheme.

      >I would also like to say that I'm glad to see this list established. I
      >think smaller, more targeted e-mail discussion lists like this one are
      >much more useful to list members than the more general lists of an earlier
      >era.

      Thank you.

      Stephen C. Carlson : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
      scarlson@... : and songs chant the words.
      http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/ : -- Shujing 2.35