Re: the Marcan Cross Factor

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 1998
      At 10:44 AM 4/13/98 +0200, Antonio Jerez wrote:
      >Antonio Jerez wrote:
      >>>... And please
      >>>take a closer look at the way Mark, Matthew and Luke handle all
      >>>time markers (in the evening, after eight days etc.). The fact that
      >>>Luke almost ALWAYS diverge when Matthew and Mark agree is
      >>>a strong indication that my thesis is basically right. Does anybody
      >>>else on the list have a more plausible explanation for this phenomenon?

      >Jim Deardorff replied:
      >>See my previous on this. In being disrespectful to Matthew but respectful
      >>towards Mark, the writer of Luke did not wish to have to closely agree with
      >>Matthew where it and Mark agree, yet did not wish to disagree with Mark. So
      >>there was where he did most of his recasting or diverging. Where Mark
      >>totally diverges from Matthew's order, there the writer of Luke followed
      >>Mark very well.

      >Jim,
      >you must obviously have missed my point, judging by this
      >answer. The point of my putting the finger on the time
      >markers in Mark and Matthew is that Luke usually doesn't
      >follow NEITHER of them. So these particular examples don't
      >strengthen your thesis since Luke appears to be just as
      >disrepectful of Matthew as of Mark.

      Antonio,

      What "diverging" means, and "recasting," by the writer of Luke, is that he
      departs from BOTH Matthew and Mark; and this he does preferentially where
      Matthew and Mark agree. The reason I gave explains this within a context of
      the AH.

      The writer of Luke is not disrespectful of Mark in those places where the
      writer of Mark already showed his disrespect for Matthew! In those places
      (where Mark does NOT follow Matthew's order), the writer of Luke follows
      Mark VERY CLOSELY, showing his respect for Mark.

      It's that simple.

      Jim Deardorff
      Corvallis, Oregon
      E-mail: deardorj@...