[Synoptic-L] Lk 8:16 & 11:33 doublet

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 1999
      Jim Deardorff wrote-

      >When Brian brought this doublet to my attention, I had not looked into
      >the matter at all. Having done so now, it seems quite clear that Lk
      >8:16 comes from Mk 4:21 while Lk 11:33 comes from Mt 5:15. This is what
      >the order of verses alone indicates, but content agrees. That is, only
      >Mk 4:21 and Lk 8:16 mention hiding the lamp under a couch, while Mt
      >5:15 and Lk 11:33 both mention the bushel and not the couch. In looking
      >for literature where this solution has been expressed before, I notice
      >it was given by Jameson in 1922. So this would appear to be a classical
      >example of a doublet, one member coming from one source and the second
      >member from another source.

      Jim,
      I think the doublet was noted in 1863 by Heinrich Holtzmann in his
      "Die synoptischen Evangelien", page 257.

      I do not see, however, how you can infer that the two pieces of
      material, Lk 8.16 and Lk 11.33, must have come from two separate
      sources. Why should not Luke, or an earlier writer on which Luke
      depended, have liked the saying so much that he chose to repeat it?

      This is part of a much bigger question - how can we distinguish in any
      synoptic gospel between redaction and tradition? What do we make, for
      instance, of the huge doublet in Matthew formed by the Feeding of the
      Five Thousand and the Feeding of the Four Thousand? Did Matthew take
      both pieces of material from a documentary source? Or did he so like
      one of these pieces of material that he re-used much of its wording to
      form the other?

      On the Greek Notes Hypothesis, many of the doublets in the synoptic
      gospels were the result of repetition by the writer of the Greek Notes.
      He first produced the Feeding of the Four Thousand on the basis of the
      Feeding of the Five Thousand which he had already written out. He added
      wording from the 5000 to a short story concerning fish (but not bread)
      to form the 4000 (which was thereby became two feedings, one with bread
      and one with fish, as we see in Mark 8.1-9). Matthew and Mark each took
      the 5000 and the 4000 from the Greek Notes (but Matthew editorially
      squashed the two feedings into one, whereas Mark more faithfully retains
      both bread and fish feedings in the 4000). Luke retained the 5000 but
      omitted the 4000. The 5000 and 4000 are therefore tradition in the
      synoptic gospels taken from the Greek Notes, but the 4000 was redaction
      of the 5000 by the writer of the Greek Notes which originally contained
      the 5000 and a short account of a feeding with fish only.

      E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE
      SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,