[Synoptic-L] Re: Synoptic Concordance?

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17 2:00 AM
      I have seen it, we have it in our library and yes it looks good, but isn't
      it outdated in the times of programs like Bibleworks which are more flexibel
      and powerful?
      I don't understand why they invest so much time and manpower into this
      thing. I can start my computer and have everything there and even better.
      But maybe I have overlooked something?

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      --------------------
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/
    • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 17 5:04 AM
        I strongly agree with Wieland and have not used a printed concordance in
        years. It seems to me that electronic resources (such as Gramcord,
        Accordance, Bibleworks, and others) give us a range of options and
        capabilities that far exceed those of printed concordances. I would be
        interested to hear from any participants who have found ways in which
        printed concordances provide information important for our studies that we
        cannot get with the electronic versions. Indeed, I even believe that
        synopses will evolve in the direction of electronic rather than print
        media - although we are at the early stages of that evolution.

        Dr. Thomas R. W. Longstaff
        Director, African-American Studies
        Colby College
        Waterville, ME 04901
        Email: t_longst@...
        Office phone: 207 872-3150
        FAX: 207 872-3802

      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 17 7:11 AM
          At 08:04 AM 9/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >I strongly agree with Wieland and have not used a printed concordance in
          >years. It seems to me that electronic resources (such as Gramcord,
          >Accordance, Bibleworks, and others) give us a range of options and
          >capabilities that far exceed those of printed concordances. I would be
          >interested to hear from any participants who have found ways in which
          >printed concordances provide information important for our studies that we
          >cannot get with the electronic versions.

          There is one way that books will always be better than computers--- you cant
          use a computer when the electricity is off... you cant use a computer when
          your sitting on the beach (unless you are one of those slaves of technology
          who must always have your laptop at hand- in which case--- "be free!!!"),
          and you certainly cant set a computer on a table, open it up, flip its
          pages, and find what your lookng for with greater speed. In fact, it takes
          longer to tunr the computer on, boot it up, load the program, and then do
          your search than it does to simply open a book.

          Computers are making us lazy.

          > Indeed, I even believe that
          >synopses will evolve in the direction of electronic rather than print
          >media - although we are at the early stages of that evolution.

          And what a sad day it will be when, rather than using our own minds to parse
          words or locate passages or look up verses we will simply let a machine do
          it for us. In fact, taken to its logical conclusion, there is no further
          need for study as we can soon simply ask a computer what a passage says and
          it will tell us... all hail the new computer age when men are mere
          operators and computers are the dispensers of truth!! ;-P

          Best,

          Jim

          +++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Jim West, ThD
          email- jwest@...
          web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 18 1:59 PM
            At 08:04 AM 9/17/99 -0400, Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:
            >I strongly agree with Wieland and have not used a printed concordance in
            >years. It seems to me that electronic resources (such as Gramcord,
            >Accordance, Bibleworks, and others) give us a range of options and
            >capabilities that far exceed those of printed concordances. I would be
            >interested to hear from any participants who have found ways in which
            >printed concordances provide information important for our studies that we
            >cannot get with the electronic versions. Indeed, I even believe that
            >synopses will evolve in the direction of electronic rather than print
            >media - although we are at the early stages of that evolution.

            I'm not aware of electronic resources that will match up the synoptic
            parallels for you (though I hope to discover some at the booths at
            SBL), but even so, I feel that, aside from the searching and look up,
            many paper resources are simply more practicable and easier on the
            eyes to read. (There are exceptions: e.g. UBS4!)

            I think that paper currently has the following advantages over
            electronic:

            1. Greek text is displayed better on paper. A lot the Greek
            electronic fonts in my experience are clunky and ugly at
            the resolutions commonly supported by monitors.

            2. I like to have a lot of different books open and spread out
            over my work area to facilitate checking each resources. On
            the other hand, multiple windows clutter my screen and dog my
            computer's performance.

            3. While it is easier to search for a particular word in an
            electronic resource, it is easier to browse for no word
            in particular in a paper resource.

            4. Jim West pointed out the low-tech advantages when power
            goes out. (Advantageous only in the day though.)

            At any rate, synoptic concordances, whether paper or electronic,
            suffer from many of the same problems as "neutral" synopses that
            were identified by Dungan.

          • Jeff Peterson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 20 6:46 AM
              At 8:04 AM -0400 9/17/99, Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:
              >I strongly agree with Wieland and have not used a printed concordance in
              >years. It seems to me that electronic resources (such as Gramcord,
              >Accordance, Bibleworks, and others) give us a range of options and
              >capabilities that far exceed those of printed concordances. I would be
              >interested to hear from any participants who have found ways in which
              >printed concordances provide information important for our studies that we
              >cannot get with the electronic versions.

              On behalf of all Luddite lurkers (some of them perhaps trying to remember
              how to use the "reply" function), I concede the point for most searches,
              but the clear advantage of Hoffman's new concordance over AcCordance etc.
              is the collection of Synoptic parallels for comparison at a glance; are
              there programs available that will display search results in this fashion?
              (I developed an argument that this advantage warrants a $175.00 purchase x
              4, but as my wife did not find it persuasive I'll omit it here.)

              By way of a further modest joust at technological windmills, I would not be
              without my Schmoller, and certainly not during a seminar, where the volume
              can be consulted without interrupting the flow of discussion, whereas
              accessing an electronic concordance would be (a) impractical in most
              seminar rooms and (b) even where available, distracting to the participants
              -- like having a video game running in the corner. But maybe others are
              better than I am at anticipating what lexical data will prove relevant in a
              given discussion!

              Jeff

              Jeffrey Peterson
              Institute for Christian Studies