Re: Naming of the synoptics

  • daffron@wizard.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 1998
      At 10:56 AM 4/6/98 -0700, Jim Deardorff wrote:

      >My understanding is that outside of priests and scribes, it was only a
      >distinct minority of Palestinians who could read and write.

      Dear Jim,

      Are you precluding the possibilty that they were the source and they
      dictated their writings (as Papias wrote) to someone who was literate and
      acted as a scribe. We know that Paul wrote very few of his letters himself.
      How many Church leaders today write their own letters? Most people in
      influential positions today dictate rather than write themselves.

      I do not think that a Church leader who dictated his gospel should be
      precluded from thoughtful consideration.

      Blessings,

      Jim
      James P. Daffron <><
      Fairfax, Virginia 22033