Re: Naming of the synoptics

  • Elmer Smalling
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 1998
      Jim Deardorf,,
      How do we "know" that the Aposltes could not read or
      write?

      Elmer Smalling
      -------------------------------------
      Elmer E. Smalling III
      Jenel Systems and Design International, Inc.
      Plano, Texas USA
      Phone/Fax 972-491-1442
      Home Page - http://www.connect.net/smalling
      minus 0700 GMT CS/DT 10:54:17 04/06/98

      E-mails:
      smalling@...
      esmalling@...
      smalling@...
      smalling@...

      This message was sent by Chameleon
      -------------------------------------
    • Jim Deardorff
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 1998
        At 10:54 AM 4/6/98 -0600, Elmer Smalling wrote:
        >Jim Deardorf,,
        >How do we "know" that the Aposltes could not read or
        >write?
        >
        >Elmer Smalling

        My understanding is that outside of priests and scribes, it was only a
        distinct minority of Palestinians who could read and write. So that would
        mean that those who attributed names to the Gospels (who I believe were the
        Gospel writers themselves in the early 2nd century) would likely have felt
        obliged to select names of persons who they thought were literate, but
        persons who lived in the same time era as Jesus. The fishermen, then, were
        very poor candidates for this, but after ruling Judas out, Matthew the
        ex-tax collector was a distinct possibility. (John) Mark, being Peter's
        interpreter, then was a possibility for the writer of that gospel to use.
        And evidently it was assumed by the writer of Luke that Luke the physician
        would have been literate. So the writer of Matthew had a reasonable choice
        he could make, but after that was used up, the other evangelists had to
        utilize names that were unreasonable in terms of persons who had been
        first-hand witnesses but reasonable in terms of their having been literate.
        As for "knowing," who knows? Maybe the fisherman John did learn to read and
        write later. But a hint that this may not have been so occurs in the Sea of
        Galilee appearance of Jn 21. I believe this took place many months after
        the crucifixion, yet there the fisherman were, back at their trade. They
        hadn't by then at least been inspired to drop everything and seek out
        sponsors to support them while they tried to become literate.

        Jim Deardorff
        Corvallis, Oregon
        E-mail: deardorj@...
      • daffron@wizard.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 1998
          At 10:56 AM 4/6/98 -0700, Jim Deardorff wrote:

          >My understanding is that outside of priests and scribes, it was only a
          >distinct minority of Palestinians who could read and write.

          Dear Jim,

          Are you precluding the possibilty that they were the source and they
          dictated their writings (as Papias wrote) to someone who was literate and
          acted as a scribe. We know that Paul wrote very few of his letters himself.
          How many Church leaders today write their own letters? Most people in
          influential positions today dictate rather than write themselves.

          I do not think that a Church leader who dictated his gospel should be
          precluded from thoughtful consideration.

          Blessings,

          Jim
          James P. Daffron <><
          Fairfax, Virginia 22033