[Synoptic-L] Gospelwriting in practice

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 1999
      How do you think a Gospel has been written, originally, in practice? Do
      you think about that?

      Imagine AMk: "Hey, why not writing down all the stories."
      And he sat down and wrote in one go all the stories he knew in scriptua
      continua in a codex book. This way? Or:

      And he wrote down some notes for the service. Some stories he knew. In a
      neighbouring town they had such notes, too. AMk went there and they put
      the notes together. Or this way? Or:

      The next day they had a dispute with the Jews, so he wrote down the
      stories he knew.

      For what reasons did they need written accounts? For the service?
      I remember one early quote that they read the Gospels "as long as time
      permits" (in the service).
      And keep in mind that they had no written gospels at all in the first
      30-40 years! This is a VERY LONG time. Even one year is a long time.

      Do you think AMk or ALk wrote a disposition first? Was the structure
      derived from liturgy? Do you think they had small pieces of papyrus with
      notes? I mean it is difficult to write such a long gospel.

      I know we have almost no evidence for all this, but I like to think
      about that: How happened all this in practice?
      I would like to know if other list-members think about that and what
      they imagine?

      Best wishes
      Wieland